the cutest blog on the block

Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of...Inspiration

Music, in case some of you have not noticed, plays kind of a big part in my writing style. There are songs that have made me stand up straight and proclaim in shock, "Oh my gosh, that song is TOTALLY Sydney or Ayden!!" (Or Katriona/Silas, or Violet, or Liam.) The result is a very eclectic playlist for Halcyon House and other works (such as themes). Some of the songs that I've recently discovered that have made their way onto the Halcyon House playlist?

The following:

1) Jackson, Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash
2) If I Were a Carpenter, Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash
3) Long-Legged, Guitar-Pickin' Man, Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash
4) If I Should Fall from Grace with God, The Pogues
5) Shake It Out, Florence + the Machine
6) No Light, No Light, Florence + the Machine
7) What the Water Gave Me, Florence + the Machine
8) Rolling in the Deep, Adele
9) Set Fire to the Rain, Adele
10) Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya, the Dropkick Murphys
11) Finnegan's Wake, my favorite version being by The Dubliners

The Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash songs relate to Ayden and Sydney (and in some cases, Liam and Lucia), If I Should Fall From Grace with God sort of became Liam's theme song (in some strange way I really can't even begin to comprehend; he just really seemed to like it and made that clear to me in no uncertain terms), No Light, No Light could double for Ayden's frustration with her strange relationship with Sydney or Sydney's previous relationship with Violet (who is still a lurker).


Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya gave me a better understanding of how a fiercely independent and driven Irish family like the McKennas clawed their way to survival.  Finnegan's Wake is sort of the traditional Irish ballad concerning that most Irish of preoccupations: whiskey. No, seriously. Half of the traditional Irish folk songs do seem to have a lot to do with whiskey...and the affects thereof. Also an excellent showcase of that famous black Irish humor, helping me apply it to Liam. Adele's songs are, of course, Ayden's impending explosion of frustration and anger at...well, the world in general at a certain part of the story, which we haven't gotten to yet. I'll keep you all posted.

Over & Out,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment