the cutest blog on the block

Monday, February 27, 2012

Jane Austen in Middle-Earth

So I tried my hand at writing a "deleted scene," of sorts, between Ayden and Violet and well...it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it's just not working for me.

Ayden: I don't know why you're so unhappy with the deleted fight scene.

Me: Because it's too... violent. And just...not you.

Ayden: So you'll let Violet hit me, but I can't hit her back?

Me: You curbed-stomped her in that deleted scene! Isn't that enough?

Ayden: No.

(Long silence)

Me: *sighs* Okay, okay. The reason why I don't like that fight scene is because I want it to be very clearly defined who's in the wrong here. You striking out and provoking Violet doesn't fit your character.

Ayden: What do you mean it doesn't fit my character? I am the character! You think I don't know what fits me and what doesn't?

Me: You hitting Violet and beating her in physical fight muddies the waters. You're the heroine. You're in the right of it (at least for now). Plus, there's just too much fall-out from the aftermath. It makes everything so much more complicated than has to be, especially between you and Sydney. Also, what said in the last entry still stands--you are not the only character in the story. You can't just decide to do something and not let it have consequences. And for me, looking at that fight scene, the consequences for you would be terrible. Believe me, I wanted to put that fight scene in there. I wanted to see you take Violet down as much as you do. But it doesn't fit. It just doesn't. Would you put Jane Austen in Middle-Earth?

Ayden: ...No.

Me: Well, there you are. Me making you win a brutal cat-fight between you and Violet is like putting Jane Austen in Middle-Earth. It just doesn't work.

Ayden: ....Do I still get to hit her? Just once?

Me: *even longer sigh* I'll see what I can do.

Ayden: You better.

It's all about compromise.

Over & Out,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment