the cutest blog on the block

Friday, August 24, 2012

Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul

A milestone, you say? You mean besides actually writing something for almost two months?

Yes, besides that. I know, I know, epic fail on my part. But for some strange reason, I'm better at doing this blog of mine while I'm in school, maybe because summer is when my brain decides that there's been enough work and it's time to take a break. School is when I'm productive and my brain is firing on all synapses. But yes--back to the milestone. It is pretty important, I promise. Today is my twenty-first birthday.

Ah, the big twenty-first. Truthfully, it feels no different than being twenty, only now, I can go out and buy alcohol or drink it if I wanted to! A somewhat useless privilege, since I have no intention of doing it, unless I'm cooking and I need to make, I don't know, tiramisu or something. Or creme brulee. What other dish requires alcohol in the recipe? That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

It's been a quiet day today. Both my brothers are back at school, my parents are at work and my sister is in school. So I've had the day to myself. Honestly, I'm enjoying it more than you might think. I got to make a chocolate cake, which is currently in the oven baking and filling the house with the smell, which is no bad thing. We may go out to dinner tonight, but I haven't decided where to go yet. So it's still up in the air.

I'd like to say a few things I've learned in the twenty-one years I've been on this earth.

First: I am a strange, unique creature, but not so unique there aren't others like me. But it's always a pleasure and surprised delight to find them.

Second: my family is my anchor. Always. All of them, not just my adored brothers or my beloved mother, but my father and my sister and my uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews and nieces and grandparents.

Third: I have great friends. Truly, really great friends. I'm never going take them for granted. How can I, when I didn't have them for so many years?

And (I think this is the last one, or the only one that comes to mind at the moment) fourth: I can never, ever take this life of mine for granted. I can't, because "do not resent growing older, it is a privilege denied to many."  This privilege is one of God's many gifts to me, so I will remember not to resent it.

Over & Out,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment